Saturday, August 21, 2004

About me: My political Compas

I don't like paying taxes, i am part of 5,000 years + of humanity that has hated paying taxes. So i am predisposed against those things that will make taxes HIGHER for me and for other people to. (cause, some day i might be one of those rich people... and i want to have some degree of consistancy in that)

I am a Federalist and A constitutionalist; in the following senses. I believe that fundementally some things are done more efficently and effectively at a state level then a federal level. and some at a county level v a state level.. and etc. I believe what makes this country great is, in theory, there are things our government can't do. So i am all for this founding idea being enforced more effectively and not dodged around with Lawyer weasel words.

I am an Imperialist in the following sense; I recognize the hegemonic dominion of the US of A. the 20th and 21st centuries have been moved by Action ( or Inaction) of the United States government. the United Nations, EU, and many other international bodies are not as Altruistic as the United States government. the UN's actions as are the actions of the EU fall far short of the Ideal we have of ourself in this country. and that Idea is our hegemonic strength, and i believe we should get closer to it.

I am a Libertarian; though not as philisophically Libertarian as i was in my youth. I don't believe it is legal for the government to prevent abortion or gay marriage by outright bans of law ( and definately not constitutional in the case of abortion, and of increasingly questionable constitutionality on the side of Gay Marriage). I think those problems can be solved with the approach of a carrott rather then a blunt stick to the side of the head.

I am a Libertarian; but i have come to realize drug use isn't ok. The people who did pot when i was in high school ( at a gifted school) most of them are losers who are still smoking out all the time. they aren't addicted but they are stuck in a cycle of use of substances to gain pleasure in their life -rather then living lives that are pleasurable-. But the prohibition policies we use now aren't really that effective of a way to stop it.

I don't care if people pray in school: so long as i don't have to
I don't care if people pray in any public setting: just so long as those prayers are not of a single religon
I don't care if the ten commandments are on any public building
I don't care if churches organize people to work in politics
I DO care if churches force parishoner money into political service they would not approve of
I don't care if In god we trust is on our money or on a building

these are all rituals that are only meaningful if people believe in them.

I support Unions as a tool to stop companies from being stupid, and i also support weakening unions when they get to powerful. they should have a balance of power... one being tipped with a little more when the other needs to be kept in check.

I support the state of Israel: Because G-D knows some one has to. The Israeli's cities in the west bank and gaza are called settlments. Palestinian cities in the west bank and gaza are called refugee camps. There is such double standards and double speak on both sides, but Israel has few friends in this world. I call myself one of them. The United States government is kinda like that friend who always used the nerdy kid to help him cheat on tests then never hooked him up with the hot friend of his girlfriend like he promised. but the nerd (israel) is still loyal.
if the Israeli's ever get power over their end of the relationship, do we want to be a half-loyal friend or a true friend who did the right thing for them and with them.

I support the people of Tibet; largely because i think communists all need to be phased out of human existance. the communist system has brought great evil into this world. The millions and MILLIONS of dead at the name of the system of Karl Marx is enough to say yes to people who want out of that system.

I support the student movement in Iran fighting to liberate that nation peacefully, and i pray some day a free Iran will exist in this world again. But when they stand up free, will we have done a d***ed thing to help them?

I support the christians who are being tortured in China, Sudan, and all other areas of tyranny about the world. While i am not a Christian, i know the man who opproses religous belief in his homeland would try to make himself my master if given the chance. we stop him in his own country, and we shut down his system of evil there.

I believe that when people are free from being given the answers, they will find better answers. but i believe people will always take the easy out when it is given to them.

I support the death penalty; I believe people who committ heinous murders should die, just as i believe serial rapists and child molestors should be taken out of the system. these people reform so rarely as to defy the ability to track it. they will hurt some one else some day, its because these people are the end result of our failures as human beings. Ending their lives is simply an act more merciful for them, and us as a society.

I hate hypocrisy, especially the kind that people refuse to admit to.

I believe the right to own guns unless you are a violent criminal, mentally ill, or under the age of legal responsibility should never be denied you. We should be a society that makes laws to regulate criminals, not citizens.

I like a clean enviroment, i like clean air and clean water. but i like it because i know those things are needed for health of myself and others. but enviromentalism crosses the line when it tries to run my life. thats dictatorship by another name.

I believe MOST Americans aren't bigoted, though they may be grossly uninformed about those different then themselves

I do not believe, nor have i seen any science that tells me people are born gay. thats the dumbest logic in the world, and not nessecary for the fight for homosexual equality

I believe we are at the end of the day far more often the people we want to be, then the people the cruelness of our world makes us be.

this is a rough overview of the metaphysics of my politics

No comments: