Friday, December 30, 2005

A new personal hero

I rarely get to call out to some one who I’d consider heroic and rarer still do I find some one younger then me I’d consider heroic. But Farris Hassan is a new personal Hero of mine. I am sure Farris and I may disagree on any number of issues but Farris decided to get Gonzo in some respects in his journalism and become part of his story. But not only did he become Gonzo he did something so Gonzo as to with very little money sneak into Iraq. ( and I agree with Michelle Malkin get this kid a blog). And Fox news has given this new generation of Gonzo Journalist a brief taste of fame.

There is a struggle in Iraq between good and evil, between those striving for freedom and liberty and those striving for death and destruction. You are aware of the heinous acts of the terrorists: Women and children massacred, innocent aid workers decapitated, indiscriminate murder. You are also aware of the heroic aspirations of the Iraqi people: liberty, democracy, security, normality. Those terrorists are not human but pure evil. For their goals to be thwarted, decent individuals must answer justice's call for help ... So I will.

This isn’t a reporter or member of the government elite hiding out in the green zone. This is a kid of Iraqi ancestry sneaking into the country and finding out the story from real people. Seeing the story with his own eyes and hearing it with his own ears.

I know going to Iraq will be incredibly risky. There are thousands of people there that desperately want my head. There are millions of people there that mildly prefer my demise merely because I am American. Nevertheless, I will go there to love and help my neighbor in distress, if that endangers my life, so be it ...
If I know what is needed and what is right, but do not act on my moral conscience, I would be a hypocrite. I must do what I say decent individuals should do. I want to live my days so that my nights are not full of regrets. Therefore, I must go.
I am sure I may find many things about Mr. Hassan I don’t agree with. But this young man took to his convictions and made his way into a war zone to try and do what he felt was the right thing to do. He heard the suffering of the Iraqi people in a real way and brought the story back unfiltered by any of the bogus partisan lenses we see it from in our society.
The kid is simply Heroic… and I am interested to see what he does for an encore.

No comments: