Sunday, June 26, 2005

More on Deep throat

While he may be covering his end... we have a nice retort here

In the ABC interview, Gray denied he had blocked any investigations of Watergate. He said he had merely delayed one probe when the White House claimed the CIA was already investigating - and then continued when the CIA reported it actually was not pursuing that lead.

A White House discussion on how to use the CIA to stem the FBI's investigation - caught on Nixon's own tapes - is often referred to as "the smoking gun" that proved the president's involvement in the Watergate cover-up.

"We continued on, and we penetrated it," Gray said. "I didn't need Mark Felt to tell me that I had to press on. I knew what was at stake here."

Gray said that the White House asked several times that Felt be fired and that Nixon himself demanded that Felt undergo a lie-detector test. "I felt that was degrading to the second-highest official of the Federal Bureau of Investigation and I would not stoop to that," Gray told ABC.

Besides, Felt had assured him on several occasions that he was not secretly passing along information to the press, Gray said.

Gray said he trusted Felt completely, even to the point of putting Felt in charge of investigating FBI leaks. But they continued.

"I couldn't stop it because my No. 2 man was the guy that was doing it," he said.


I am not sure i buy into gray being part of the evilllllllllll nixon plot, but given some of Mark Felt's bad olde hoover days activities this isn't out of charecter.

again it will take a while for history to adequately judge mark felt

No comments: